Proposal: OmiseGO Network Community (ONC) Governance Initiative

Hey folks!

So, in the past few weeks or so, @aa and I have been discussing governance for the OMG Community.

As you well know, there have been various discussions on this topic spread between Slacks, Telegrams, and this buildOMG group. It’s feels like it’s time to get more concrete and active together as a community that cares about the future of the OMG Network.

Helpfully, in December @kartsims rolled up his sleeves, took initiative, and shared a Mission Statement for this emerging OMG Community initiative, looking ahead at how we might start collaborating and grow the Network with less reliance on any one team or set of stakeholders.

@aa and I picked up from there, and together with other community members, we were able to fashion a OMG Network Community (ONC) (i) Mission Statement, (ii) Principles, and (iii) Code of Conduct.

Now, we welcome your input and feedback on these initial community drafts, as well as the general “OMG Network Community” governance initiative!

(i):

OMG NETWORK COMMUNITY MISSION STATEMENT

The OMG Network Community (ONC) is a self-governed organization dedicated to the growth and promotion of OMG Network, a public good to help secure and scale decentralized financial services across geographies, asset classes and applications.

The OMG project was launched in 2017 by OmiseGO Pte., Ltd. (OmiseGO) as a fully open source initiative, publicly funded via ICO. Growing from this initiative, ONC has self-organized to advance their common values, interests, and goals. We share a vision with OmiseGO but hope to serve a different and synergistic purpose.

In complement to the efforts of OmiseGO’s dedicated team, ONC is currently on a mission to build more educational resources and opportunities to collaborate around OMG Network design decisions. We seek to create a more robust ecosystem by decreasing reliance on any one entity, safeguarding the integrity of the network against any single point of failure.

In common intent with OmiseGO, the overall mission of ONC shall be to increase adoption of public blockchain financial services and openly distribute the codebase maintenance and general upkeep of the OMG Network among active community contributors.

(ii):

OMG NETWORK COMMUNITY PRINCIPLES

In our technology:

• We believe in decentralization as a tool for creating positive sum games that benefit all participants
  • We seek to build protocols that maximize transparency, usefulness adaptability and efficiency
  • We recognize the tendency and the right of humans to act in their own self interest
  • We are committed to open source development as defined by the Open Source Initiative
  • We believe that diversity among contributors results in a better product
  • We believe in experimentation, including the value of failure for the advancement of knowledge

In our community:

• We value all opinions - whether positive, negative or neutral - as long as they are based on truth
  • We resist stagnation; we embrace evolution in our governance processes in order to improve inclusiveness, fairness, effectiveness and efficiency
  • We pursue clarity, transparency and neutrality in all processes
  • When allocating resources, we optimize for creating the maximum benefit to the greatest number of participants
  • We treat each other the same way online as we would in the real world (i.e. if you had to look me in the eye and say the words you’re typing, would you? If no, probably don’t hit send)
  • We judge each other by our actions and contributions, not by our adjectives. We embrace all human beings regardless of age, ability, sex or gender identity, orientation, religion, ethnicity, social status, education, technical knowledge, political views or any other identifying characteristic; also robots if they are nice.
  • We commit to constructive criticism of each other’s conduct, protecting our fellow human beings from harassment and abuse, and using banishment as a last resort

(iii):

Now, we think this is a helpful start towards defining the ONC around shared values and goals. In terms of onboarding and actual ONC organization, we have sketched out the following, which should be fairly easy to implement:

(a) Create ONC Github Organization . . .

(b) Within ONC Github Org., place above terms into Repo files that folks can sign and become ONC members through pull-request signatures . . .

Beyond this onboarding phase, we believe there are opportunities for the ONC to self-organize as a DAO on Aragon.org that can manage crypto grants and make related awards for ONC / OMG ecosystem development efforts. Further along, we might also look at how we can link the Aragon DAO to the Github organization, as seen in this project, as well as coordinate with Bounty platforms to make things easier.

Cheers!

Link to master doc. (beyond Step 3 are just initial suggestions, if/as things progress . . . )

Link to early onboarding ideas.

1 Like

On the first read, it is simple and clear. Will read it again tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks for the note - glad ONC is parsable!

Thanks @ro5s and @AA for this nice write-up. Looks much more professional than my initial statement :smile:

My general feeling is that this is really the good direction moving forward. Most principles are clearly stated and i’ll share some detailed opinion below. The following is feedback from a dev that speaks better in code than legal languages, plus I am not english native, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Mission statement

The OMG project was launched in 2017 by OmiseGO

Shouldn’t this say “the OMG Network project”?

on a mission to build more educational resources and opportunities to collaborate around OMG Network design decisions.

Doesn’t this make it sound like ONC is trying to collaborate with OmiseGO? Is this intentional? Proposal:

on a mission to build more educational resources and opportunities to design, improve and maintain the OMG Network.

Still not 100% happy with that one but I don’t have anything better.

I’ll take a break from my review here to say that it sounds like a really tricky exercise to lay out clearly ONC’s and OmiseGO’s roles. Their respective roles don’t stand out very clearly in this statement imo. There is some confusion remaining and while you have done a great job to avoid that, I guess there still are some confusing bits… I’ll try to highlight them but I am not sure if we can prevent this ultimately since I don’t know if this has been clearly established yet.

In common intent with OmiseGO, the overall mission of ONC shall be to…

I’d remove the “In common intent with OmiseGO” bit that isn’t necessary here imo. All paragraphs start with “omisego blabla” it is getting repetitive.

Principles

Item #3 should be #1 as it is a more logical order : “we believe in human self-interested nature” -> “decentralization as a tool to benefit all” -> “we seek to build protocols”

These 3 items could even be a list of their own, named “In our …” (mindset? didn’t find a term…) I guess these 3 define the starting point of all decentralization-oriented way of thinking. The rest of the items fit better in the “In our technology” category.

• We believe that diversity among contributors results in a better product

The word diversity has a “gender/race/social” sense to me. But it might be because of the language barrier idk. While I like this definition, it should also include diversity of interests and context (such as contributors from big companies, as well as independant workers for instance, or even institutions and why not public good organizations or SMEs) that are not well represented (doesn’t look that way to me anyway)

• We believe in experimentation, including the value of failure for the advancement of knowledge

I don’t think this is necessary. Or maybe rephrase it a bit more using the word innovation, removing “failure”, maybe replace it with “trial and error”. It sounds a bit negative when put this way. This may be a cultural barrier tho as in Europe we don’t value failure as much as in the US (my guess is Asia doesn’t either).

We resist stagnation

While I understand the point, I don’t think this is necessary (also Blockchain is a lot about immutability). Highlighting “evolution” seems sufficient to make your point. I love the rest of the sentence btw, strong values there.

• We treat each other the same way online as we would in the real world (i.e. if you had to look me in the eye and say the words you’re typing, would you? If no, probably don’t hit send)

This sounds a bit “clumsy”. Proposal:

• We value and respect each other in all communication forms, whether online or in physical discussions.

“physical discussions” is “clumsy” too…

We judge each other by our actions and contributions, not by our adjectives.

Not necessary either. I really dislike the concept of “judging” people… and the rest of the sentence makes its point about inclusion.

Code of Conduct

Nothing much to say here. I wish we could sign somewhere else than Github (which is centralized and Microsoft-owned but hey, this is still the standard for now. Don’t you have some sort of smart openlaw contract up your sleeve @ro5s? Ethereum’s has been designed a while ago I guess, so we could do something more modern maybe? I don’t really know what exactly, sign an ethereum tx or something maybe? Just throwing the idea around :wink:

Looking forward to the Aragon DAO. Github integration sounds awesome too. Aragon ftw!

Thanks for reading so far, I hope some of this will be useful!

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and feedback on this effort. I have migrated the discussion for broader OMG community participation here:

I also invite folks to sign on via Github & join initial bounty org, now live on mainnet (!): https://mainnet.aragon.org/#/oncommunity.aragonid.eth

CC: @AA @nebali @kartsims @tousthilagavathy

ONC Cooperative has 50 DAI / 50 OMG in the multisig. vault for initial bounty testing!

https://mainnet.aragon.org/#/oncommunity.aragonid.eth/0xae974ac35f728a51a8b685dda53c675116b2a76b

Also, upgraded Aragon org. to reflect most recent updates to UI (0.7 - ‘Bella’) :tada:

1 Like